Friday, October 07, 2005

iced mochacino

3:30 at the coffee place up the block today was a DRAMATIC time.

long, unorganized lines,
a new guy who didn't really know what to do,
and a disproportionate number of cappucino and espresso orders all at once.

it was the wrong day to order an iced mochacino.

that poor new guy was freakin' out.
the manager (with unfortunate partially-bleached hair) had to come out and help.
i was asked to repeat my order three times.

i waited patiently, eschewing the heavy sighs of impatient customers for hands folded and a placid semi-glazed over stare.

then:

the placid, wise casheer who'd taken my order turned to me and the man standing next to me waiting for two skim cappucinos and asked "would you like a cookie while you're waiting?" YES! As simple as a lollypop after a visit to the dentist or a piece of bologna from the deli guy while he slices cold cuts for your mother - we are as easy to placate as the average seven year-old.

I think it's sort of nice when simple, small things are enough; when the meaning of a gesture comes through.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vladimir Twist said...

Mark Mulcahy, haven't heard of him before and unfortunately I will not be able to get to the gig in London which is the nearest. I will look for some CD's or something. Also, I checked out your personal info..... The Great Gatsby, what a fine book by Mr Fitzgerald, who was also a good friend of my favourite poet, Mrs Dorothy Parker.

Truly, Madly, Deeply is in my opinion, the finest British Film ever made. And oh so superior to Ghost (which I don't know for sure cos I've never seen it) but TMD....I just love the accuracy of Juliet Stevenson crying during a counselling session, none of this Hollywood "boo hoo, sniffle sniffle I'm so sad" stuff but real tears and the horrible nasty stuff dripping from her nose ... exactly as it really happens when you cry that much... oh the simplest of fine detail in films pleases me.
Saw They Might Be Giants many years ago in Cambridge, they were pretty good live but I couldn't get into their recorded works, except the very pop-py song whose title escapes me, something to do with birdhouses and stuff.

You are in my sidebar as Crazy in New York...you are in NYC?

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home