Tuesday, October 11, 2005

home

i went home last night to visit my mom who lives in New Jersey - an easy ride on the commuter bus from the scenic port authority bus terminal in mid-town.

as usual, there were goldfish crackers (a special mom's house treat), excitable dogs, a delicious meal and lots to drink. last night it was wine.

what was different was even better.

i was telling my mom that i'm having an appointment today to meet with a photographer about taking new headshots. and my mom looked at me and said "wear that!" "That" was jeans and a short sleeved t-shirt over a long sleeved t-shirt. It's my favorite hang-around ensemble for fall. What felt so good was the sense that my mom was seeing me for who I am. And liking me. And trusting me to be myself in a way that, a few years ago, I think she would have fussed more and counseled me to wear more makeup or do something different with my hair or . . . I don't know. But she didn't do any of those things and it was awesome.

It was such a treat to have such a good visit with my mom. I like it when she and I can get along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home