Friday, January 14, 2005

Sometimes people say really stupid things

I'm an actor.
I have a day job.
I go to my job all day and then I spend as much free time as I can manage trying to get a job or rehearsing a play or whatever else I might do to make acting full time and day job no time.
There's a woman in my office - she works in finance but because we don't have a human resources department she's the unofficial HER person as well - and she just doesn't get it. What's worse, she's judgmental and derisive.
Today, as we rode the elevator together, she asked if I had any new roles. I said (truthfully) that I'm in two plays. And she wrinkled her nose and said something like "plays? Well there's no money in plays, is there?" I said, "give me a break. You have to be in something so the people who want to pay you to act can come and see you! There might be money in background work, but that's not acting and you still don't get any attention." So she backed off of that and instead said, "well, isn't that hard? Working all day here and doing that in addition?" And I said, "pretty much everything worth doing is hard! Founding America? Civil rights? Those weren't easy!"
I can't help but be amazed that she has no concept of what it is to love something and want to do it more than anything else. She's a middle-aged spinster who lives with her mother. Surely she MUST want something else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home